If you are unable to view announcements, discussion postings, quiz windows, and download links, you need to disable your browser's pop-up blocker as WebCT uses pop-ups for these functions.
For security reasons, most recent browsers disable pop-ups by default. We recommend that you enable pop-ups for the University of Ulster domain only. The following steps explain how.
Pop-up blocker test window
Each time you log in to WebCT you should see a pop-up window. It is designed to test for the presence of a pop-up blocker. It should disappear of its own accord within a few seconds. This is the WebCT pop-up window you should see:
If the pop-up blocker test window does not appear and you are using Internet Explorer, you may receive the following yellow alert bar: "Pop-up blocked. To see this pop-up or additional options click here", and the pop-up error message, "It appears you are using a popup blocker. Because this application uses popup windows, we recommend you disable your popup blocker before continuing" - this means your pop-up blocker is currently enabled and needs to be disabled.
Disabling pop-up blocker (Internet Explorer)
- To disable the pop-up blocker you can right click on the yellow alert bar and select 'Temporarily Allow Pop-ups' or 'Always allow Pop-ups from this site...'
- However, as a permanent solution we recommend that you make the University of Ulster a trusted domain by going into your Pop-up Blocker Settings.
- From 'Tools' menu select 'Pop-up Blocker Settings'
- Under 'Address of website to allow:' enter *.ulster.ac.uk and click on 'Add'. The University of Ulster is now a trusted domain and pop-ups will be allowed for University sites only.
Disabling pop-up blocker (Firefox)
- Select the 'Tools' menu near the top of the Firefox window.
- Select 'Options...' from the drop down menu.
- Select the 'Content' tab at the top of the 'Options...' window.
- Find the line that reads "Block pop-up windows" and click the "Exceptions" button next to it.
- In the field under 'Address of web site' enter *.ulster.ac.uk.
- Click the 'Allow' button to add it to your exception list.