As it is a new system, you may have no previous experience of the Blackboard Learn eLearning environment, or indeed any Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). The following is a quick start guide to Blackboard Learn.
What is Blackboard Learn?
Blackboard Learn version 9.1 (also known as BB Learn) is a virtual learning environment that gives registered students online access to course materials and exercises.
Access to Blackboard Learn comes via a feed from the main Registry system. This feed runs once per day. If you have just completed registration, you will have instant access to Portal services and University e-mail, however, access to Blackboard Learn typically takes 24 hours.
If you attempt to logon to Blackboard Learn in the period before access has been granted you will see the message displayed in the image below. It will say, “Could not log in. Valid authentication credentials were not provided.”
If you have previously been able to access Blackboard Learn and see the message, “Could not log in. Valid authentication credentials were not provided.” Check that the login details you are using are correct. If you are unsure contact Blackboard Helpdesk (Details at the bottom of this page).
Your logon details
Your logon for Blackboard Learn consists of your student B number e.g. B00123456 and your assigned network password. You can find your network password at: http://ssb.ulster.ac.uk . There are several ways to access and logon to Blackboard Learn:
Blackboard Learn home page access
- Go to https://learning.ulster.ac.uk and logon.
- Alternatively, go to the Ulster University home page at: http://www.ulster.ac.uk and select the A-Z Index link. Blackboard Learn is listed as Blackboard Learn (VLE). You will be directed to the Blackboard Learn logon page.
- It is important that you are enrolled on the correct modules. The wiki page, 'Are you a registered student?' will advise you on checking your registration.
- You can also add or delete modules by processing a Module Amendment form - see the wiki page, 'How do I change my modules?' for more information.
- See the wiki page, "Finding your Blackboard password" for more information on Self Service Banner.